Dr. James P. McCalpin, Principal Geologist
Since 1990 Dr. McCalpin has provided specialty geological consulting services in the fields of environmental and engineering geology. He has performed 150 consulting projects in the USA and abroad, with budgets ranging from a few thousand to tens of millions of dollars (see list of clients). These projects have been in support of dam and road construction or remediation, critical facilities, waste disposal siting (municipal/ industrial/ radioactive), and mineral exploration. He specializes in documenting, mapping, analyzing, and mitigating hazardous geologic processes and conditions, such as:
- earthquake hazards
- slope stability hazards
- volcanic hazards
- flood hazards
- comprehensive multi-hazard assessment
- environmental hazards
- Ph.D., Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO - 1981 (Geology)
- M.S., University of Colorado, Boulder, CO - 1975 (Geology)
- B.A. (honors), University of Texas, Austin, TX - 1972 (Geology)
- 1999-present, Director, Crestone Science Center, Crestone, CO 81131
- 1991-present, President, GEO-HAZ Consulting, Inc., Crestone, CO, 81131
- 1991-present, Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Geology, Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322-4505
- 1987-1991, Associate Professor, Department of Geology, Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322-4505
- 1982-1987 Assistant Professor, Department of Geology, Utah State University, Logan,UT
- 1982, County Geologist, Jefferson County Planning Department, Golden, CO
- 1977-78, Geologist, Branch of Western Environmental Geology, U.S. Geological Survey, Menlo Park, CA
- 1976-77, Geologic Field Assistant, Branch of Alaskan Geology, U.S. Geological Survey, Menlo Park, CA
- 1987-88, Fulbright Research Fellowship to Victoria University, Wellington, New Zealand
- 1999, Claire B. Holdredge Award, Association of Engineering Geologists (AEG), for editing the 1996 book "Paleoseismology"
- 2000, E.B. Burwell Award, Engineering Geology Division (EGD), Geological Society of America, for editing the 1996 book "Paleoseismology"
- 2013, Richard Jahns Distinguished Lecturer, appointed by the AEG and EGD
Dr. McCalpin has a publication list of more than 100 citations, which is available upon request.